Hoxne Heritage Group presents:-
‘What the Victorians threw away’
by Dr Tom Licence
Director of Centre for East Anglian Studies, UEA.
Come and be fascinated by what their rubbish tells us about what they ate, what ailments they had and how they lived – and what you are digging up regularly in your own gardens.
Hoxne Village Hall, Tuesday, November 1st at 7.30pm
Admission £5 on the door, £4 by ticket (from Hoxne P.O. or Julie Craven 01379 668383)
Please note that this talk is on the 12th May 2016 and not as previously advertised.
Future dates for your diary, not to be missed, include Heritage Sunday at Hoxne Church on April 17th when Julie Craven will talk about the Kerrisons and their impact on Hoxne life.
On May 10th local historian, Sarah Doig, will be giving her popular talk ‘The A to Z of Curious Suffolk’.
More details nearer the time.
Please come along and join us.
The Hoxne Heritage Group is embarking on a project on the Banham Walls, important architectural features peculiar to the Oakley Park estate villages. This will be a photographic record as well as involving archival research about the walls and the bricks. If you have any information or photographs we will be pleased to hear from you.
On 5th March Richard Giffin from the Hoxne Heritage Group gave a passionate and enthusiastic talk to the Suffolk Local History Council societies about our Hoxne Angel, Harriet Pentney. This was extremely well-received and resulted in much interest and some useful discussions about old Hoxne families.
On 28th January we were fortunate to have Jo Caruth from Suffolk Archaeology to give a fascinating talk about the excavation at Hartismere School. The site revealed an Anglo-Saxon settlement and, of international importance, the first Anglo-Saxon longhouse discovered in this country. Subsequently two more longhouses have been discovered near Kentford.
On 27th February an authoritative and scholarly account by Dr Francis Young discussed the theories and controversies surrounding the whereabouts of the relics of St. Edmund. The theory that relics that rested for some time in Toulouse, protecting the town from the plague, which were moved back later to Arundel belonged to St. Edmund has now largely fallen out of favour. Convincing arguments have now been put forward to suggest that St. Edmund’s remains lie in some unknown and unrevered resting place in Bury St. Edmunds. An excellent account of the theories and controversies can be found in Dr Young’s book, ‘Where is St. Edmund?’
Where is St Edmund?
What happened to his body?
Where is he today?
Hoxne Heritage Group presents a talk by Dr Francis Young (East Anglian historian, teacher and researcher)
Date: Saturday 27th February, 7.30pm, Admission £5
Venue: St Edmund’s Hall, Hoxne
There will be a bar and raffle
Hoxne Heritage Group presents:-
Life before the medieval town: evidence of early occupation from archaeological excavations at Hartismere School, Eye.
by Jo Caruth (Senior Archaeologist, Suffolk Archaeology).
Thursday, January 28th 2016 at 19.30 in the bar area, St. Edmund’s Hall, Hoxne.
Admission £4 – includes refreshments.
Held in the church in Saturday 3rd October and Sunday 4th October this was an opportunity for some members of Hoxne Heritage Group to demonstrate their flower arranging skills using the theme of harvests through the ages.
Using a variety of autumn flowers, foliage and other ‘accessories’ the display attempted to give an insight into how harvesting has changed notably through the equipment used such as scythes, the use of quern stones and how crops have evolved/ changed.
A different interpretation of harvesting was also shown with the aid of a metal detector used for ‘harvesting’ the lost artefacts of previous local inhabitants. Thus emphasising just one of the many tasks of Hoxne Heritage Group in it’s quest to keep the past alive and meaningful to not only present but also future generations.
On September 15th the Hoxne Heritage Group were honoured to host Rosemary Hoppitt to address our monthly meeting. Rosemary is an historical geographer and had written her PhD thesis at UEA in 1992 on the development of deer parks in Suffolk from the eleventh to the seventeenth century. Since that time she had researched even more records and we were fascinated to hear her account.
Most Suffolk deer parks were less than 200 acres and belonged originally to the ecclesiastical elite between 1086 and 1602 and then to the lay elite and others. In 1602 there were 130 parks recorded in Suffolk, of which two were in Hoxne, two were in the South Elmham area and one in Homersfield. The old parks were situated on highland areas where drainage was poor – hence the site of the Hoxne Oldepark at Park Farm, near Chickering, which was owned by the Bishop of Norwich. It is believed that this park existed before 1119.
In 1472 an indenture mentions ‘le Oldepark’ which suggests that a ‘new park‘ was in existence.
When fashion began to change, and the demand was for a park in which to set a splendid house, the Old Park was abandoned in favour of a new site which could provide a suitable landscape setting. This was on the site of what is known as Oakley Park, a benign location in the Dove valley.
In 1837 the site became officially known as Oakley Park under Sir Edward Kerrison, however the Hall was demolished in 1923.
We are indebted to Rosemary Hoppitt for her excellent talk and providing so much information on the changing face of Hoxne since the eleventh century.